Columbia Gorge Windsurfing Association
Executive Director Position Description
POSITION TITLE: Executive Director
REPORTS TO: CGWA Board of Directors
SALARY: DOE + Benefits
The Executive Director is the Chief Executive Officer of the Columbia Gorge Windsurfing Association. The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors, and is responsible for the organization’s consistent achievement of its mission and financial objectives.
In program development and implementation, the Executive Director will:
- IN INTERNAL DEVELOPMENT:
- Assure that the organization has a long-range strategic plan which achieves its mission, and toward which it makes consistent and timely progress.
- Act as a visionary/information bearer to the Board of Directors in drafting policies and organizational development, and look to the future for new opportunities.
- Maintain official records and documents, and ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
- Provide support to the Board by preparing meeting agendas and supporting materials in conjunction with the Executive Committee.
- Oversee the work of other staff and volunteers, and ensure proper compliance with personnel policies.
- IN EVENTS AND PROGRAMS:
- Plan, coordinate, and assess Beach Bash, Swap Meets, King of the Hook, the Gorge Windsurf Awards Party, and other events and clinics that are relevant to the organization’s mission.
- Oversee all aspects of Gorge Groms, from asset management to registrations and clinic supervision.
- Oversee all aspects of the A-Team, in coordinating with coaches, kids, parents to make sure program goals are reached.
- Create and nurture programs and an associated financial plan that are in line with CGWA’s mission.
- Oversee the work of and provide support in identifying beach access projects.
- Oversee and manage the operation of Swell City as a public use park. This includes working with and directing the site manager, identifying improvement projects needed, and ensuring the site is viable in terms of finances, infrastructure, and services.
- Promote active and broad participation by volunteers in all areas of CGWA’s work, and oversee work and satisfaction of volunteers.
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the local environment and windsurfing industry.
- IN MEMBERSHIP DEVELOPMENT:
- Ensure that membership communications and renewals happen in a timely manner.
- Advise the board on membership recruitment strategies, and provide opportunities and tools for people to become new members.
In budget and finance, the Executive Director will:
- Be responsible for developing and maintaining sound financial practices.
- In conjunction with the Treasurer, prepare an annual budget and see that CGWA operates within budget guidelines.
- Work with the Board of Directors to ensure that adequate funds are available to permit the organization to carry out its work.
- Ensure that sound bookkeeping and accounting procedures are in place and followed.
- Administer the funds of the organization according to the approved budget and monitor the monthly cash flow of the organization.
- Oversee membership recruitment and retention efforts in conjunction with the Board and Executive Committee.
- Develop and maintain positive relations with the funding community, members and potential members.
- Work with our third party bookkeeper, banks, and our CPA to make sure our finances are maintained to the highest level possible
In communication, the Executive Director will:
- Represent CGWA within the windsurfing and Gorge community on behalf of the Board of Directors. Represent the Gorge windsurfing community to local, regional and national agencies and organizations.
- Identify, assess, and inform the Board of Directors of internal and external issues that affect the organization.
- Communicate regularly with stakeholders and constituents to keep them informed of CGWA’s programs and point of view, and to identify changes in the community served by the organization. This is through online communications and face-to-face networking meetings.
- Create and implement a communication plan that uses modern techniques and technologies to accurately communicate CGWA’s story to the Gorge windsurfing community and our partners on an ongoing basis. These methods may include social media, print media, and website updates.
- Develop and foster strong networking relationships and cooperative arrangements with other community groups, organizations, funders, politicians, agencies, businesses, and manufacturers.
This position requires the applicant to work in Hood River year round. The CGWA office is located at 202 Oak St. The Director’s starting salary will be around $30,000 dependent upon experience and he/she will be eligible for health benefits after a short waiting period. Please send questions and comments to Greg Stiegel at firstname.lastname@example.org or 541-386-9225
- Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Executive Director Application” in the e-mail title.
- The deadline for applications is September 9
- Start date is October 1st.